Home / Readers House Ludlow

Readers House Ludlow

Readers House Ludlow

The Readers House Ludlow is one of the most distinctive tudor buildings in the town. It was once the home for the bible readers for the adjacent St Laurence’s Church. Readers House Ludlow dates back to the 12th century and has in the past been a private museum and a grammar school. The current structure was created in 1616 by Thomas Kaye, Chaplain to the Council of the Marches, who grafted a half timbered structure onto the remnants of the earlier stone house. Although the building is not open to the public it is worth combining a visit with St Laurences Church. There is a small garden open to the public next to Readers House which is also worth a visit.